Tuesday, May 01, 2007

PNC and PMT

I'm Cold. Treasurer Lady is loudly telling whoever will listen that she is acting as Secretary tonight too. In a bout of inflated self importance, she seems to think someone other than her gives a shit. We don't.

So begins a night sitting on ickle wickle chairs in a demountable somewhere in W.A. Except the Pre Primary Teacher didn't turn up to unlock the doors so we are forced to decamp to the pub for the monthly PNC meeting.

Warm. Very Warm. It turns out I am sitting under a heat lamp, carefully positioned to scorch my back and/or left arm depending on how I twist to avoid it's painful rays.

Beer tastes good and is dulling the throbbing in my left ear as Treasurer Lady - Secretary for the night is droning on, contorting her face as though every word hurts her to speak; enunciating every syllable as if the rest of us were slightly slow. I notice that everyone here is decidedly, well, beige; except myself (naturally) and CF (Convener/Friend - articulate and interesting new friend I have recently had lunch and much laughs with).

Man on my right is formally requested to introduce himself. Poor man. He is uncomfortable. We all stare at him regardless of his uncomfortableness as he states his name and position as the PNC convener for the "Big School" for which our Kindy PNC is attached to. He is here because we haven't been reporting our spending accurately enough to him. Shame on us.

Treasurer Lady is speaking again. It hurts my head. Maybe I could leave. No one would notice. Oops, back to the conversation ...our Convener (CF) is speaking; she has managed to get a word in edgeways. She is asking if any of us have any ideas. She is smiling conspiratorially at me as she knows I am sick of having ideas and no one listening to them. I nearly snort out loud with laughter. I suggest the same thing that I have suggested before. I want to have a fair or a fete. It will be fun. YES IT WILL. People don't want to make cakes. Coconut Shys are dangerous and Cakes must have their ingredients clearly labelled on each one in order to pass Health and Safety. This is bollox. I want to go home. Maybe I could leave. no one would notice.

Dedicated Dad is talking. He turned up to a meeting in lieu of his wife one month and proved to be most useful in moving a log. Now he comes to make sure we don't need any more logs moving. This is kind of him, I think. He is talking to Junior School PNC man. "There might be a fight" I think to myself, best stay, just in case. Two men at a PNC meeting...all that testosterone, there might be something to watch here.

They decline to fight.

I could slip away home now. No one would notice.

People are moving. Hurrah, it seems they are leaving.

Now I feel like a beer and CF is hanging back too...maybe we could have a beer and NOT talk about Shade Cloths and Pump Disposal Soap....

Yep. Yep, it is looking promising...the last of the PNC are out of the door. I suggest another beer to CF. We agree, one beer won't hurt.

Hurrah!! Guinness and CF.

No "beige" People.

This is what PNC meetings are all about. I'll come next month now methinks...

No comments: