Friday, April 27, 2007

two posts in one night and this one is introducing : Nice Ex

So my Ex's picture is on the front page of Emirates Today (UAE publication) with the massive headline:
RAISING THE BIG QUESTIONS BUT OFFERING FEW ANSWERS

Clearly under different circumstances, this would be positively begging to be used as a cheap dig at my ex partner, but, unfortunately, no can do...you see, this is NiceEx. He is my friend. No really - he is.

Some background: NiceEx and I have been friends for an absolute yonk. When he fell out with his Dad in a teenage tantrum type episode when he was aged 15, it was me that he turned to, and me and my flatmates that he stayed with whilst he and his Dad cooled off. He became a permanent fixture at our place and dated (and subsequently lived with) some young girl that used to "hang out" out with us years and years ago.

We saw less of each other when I married a man I barely knew and moved half an hour away from my "old friends", but we were still close and he (NiceEx) was always very supportive, even when he thought my decisions (like marrying a man I didn't know) were crap.

When I realised the sham that was my marriage, and mustered the strength to say "enough is enough", I was alone in the world but for a tiny six week old baby and the last shreds of self respect which I had clung to.

Nice Ex was my friend, became father to my little baby C and biological father to L. (Though he always has and always will treat them equally).

Bringing things up to the present day and after many years of Legal Separation we are friends again. This is smashing. Himself and NiceEx also rub along well together which is really smashing and nothing less than exceptionally convenient.

NiceEx lives in Dubai as has been mentioned before.

He has just collapsed at work.

I would have been worried, but for NiceEx having a really very nice Girlfriend (Nice Ex's Girl) who called me and explained what had happened to him.

NiceEx's Girl was in the UK at the time of the collapse and felt all of the anguish and panic, whilst I cruised along in my very own timezone, without a care in the world. By the time Nice Ex's Girl got hold of me, she had spent a night awake with worry and anticipation for her flight over to the UAE to mop NiceEx's brow; had sent out emails to me in order that I might know the situations as they changed; had spent numerous hours on the phone to NiceEx so that he may feel comfort from her voice; had endured the knowledge that NiceEx had decided to go into work and battle through the pain in typical NiceEx fashion; had cancelled her ticket to Dubai and only been refunded the Tax; had spent further numerous hours on the phone trying to get through to Dubai to ascertain what was going on; had learned that Nice Ex had been sped off to theatre and would NOT be attending work; had informed me of "the latest" and then had FINALLY spoken to a very groggy NiceEx who had come round from the operation. All is well.

Get well soon NiceEx, the boys are thinking of you. I am thinking of NiceEx's Girl (and you a bit I suppose!!). Sleep well tonight NiceEx's Girl, you deserve it!



3 comments:

Eliza said...

wow- i wish me and my ex were like that, is he ok now? your boys must have been worried?!


so how long had you know this first husband before marrying him?

Femme Fontanelle said...

oops!

What I said above before I so rudely deleted myself was that he will be just fine!

The boys are happy now that they know that he is out of surgery!

- I had known Nasty Twisted Psycho Ex for nearly three months when we were married, been paying for it ever since!

Eliza said...

goodness me that is fast! live and learn